Monday, September 2, 2013

Bevin Posting: Gazelle Intense!

      If you couldn't have figured out from my Facebook statuses, Eric and I are starting a total money makeover (http://www.daveramsey.com/new/baby-steps/) We've made a budget and we're working on getting our $1000 emergency fund and paying off our debts. It's going to take a lot of work, but our goal is to be in a paid for house by the time I'm 30. Mind you there's some pit stops along the way like I'd like to get my master's and a new car (both debt-free) We're on track to have our current student loans forgiven so that's a HUGE help.

     We set up google documents to have "cash envelopes" for food and gas right now. I'm hoping to add some for spending money for me and for gifts but since I spent my spending money for the month on a trip to target the first day and our gifts budget is currently $0 they're not really necessary right now.
     The main way we're saving money is by making a lot of household items ourselves. We currently make our own liquid soap, laundry detergent, and fabric softener. We tried making our own shampoo and that was a DISASTER but I think I figured out what the problem was and I am going to make another attempt at it. We also make our own dryer sheets (to make the clothes smell fresh). Let me know in the comments if you want to see some of my recipes for things. Anything I can't make I try to get at the cheapest price possible. So far, that's been Sam's Club, though in January we're going to switch to Costco because the membership a little bit cheaper and a lot better for our conscience.
    We're both really pumped right now, and it'll be great to not have all of these payments each month. Eric's already planning out his debt free scream. I'm guessing it will take us about a year to clear out everything Eric thinks it will take 2 or 3 years. I'll keep you updated as we go along.


No comments:

Post a Comment